Tamara Barringer is a wife, mother, educator, attorney, and small business owner. Working in our community to improve our quality of life, Tamara recognizes that our strength as a state comes from the effort of dedicated citizens – not the government. From teaching courses in ethics, to protecting at-risk children, and fighting for better schools, her wide range of experience has given her the skills needed to make a real difference for working families in the North Carolina Senate.
- North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE)
- State Employees Association of North Carolina, EM PAC
- NC Chamber of Commerce
- National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB)/North Carolina SAFE (Save America’s Fee Enterprise)
- Benevolent Order of the Police
- Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. Thanks Badge—the highest award presented in Girl Scouting to an adult member. Awarded this highest national honor for outstanding volunteer service substantially above the expected performance and in a manner that benefits the entire Girl Scout council and Girl Scouts of the United States (2014).
- Early Education Champion Award for the 2016 Legislator of the Year, from the North Carolina Child Care Coalition, (2016).
- Legislative Leadership Award, from NC Child, for diligent work and commitment to children’s issues. (2015).
- North Carolina’s Champions for Children Award, from Children’s Hope Alliance and Benchmarks. (2015).
- Legislative Leadership Award, Prevent Child Abuse, (2015).
- Triangle Access Award for Outstanding Achievement in Creating Universal Access Through Legislation Award, from Alliance of Disability Advocates Center for Independent Living. (2015).
- Benchmarks Award North Carolina Child Advocacy Award, in recognition of support, leadership, and outstanding advocacy for children and their families in North Carolina. (2014).
- Legislator Rising Star of the Year Award, from the Arc of North Carolina, for diligent work during her first session as Senator, advocating for people with developmental and intellectual disabilities. (2013).
- National Board of Professional Teaching Standards, Certificate of Appreciation, recognizing her dedication and commitment to high teaching standards and well-trained teachers in North Carolina through her legislative work. (2015).